For businesses or merchants, the advent of the iPhone is rapidly changing the way that they process credit card payments. Whether your business is a mobile one that necessitates a portable method of paying by plastic, or you’re stationary and interested in reducing counter-top clutter, here are ten ways that you can accept credit card payments via iPhone.
- Square – Available for both iPhone and Android operating systems, signing up for Square gets users a free swipe tool to plug into their phones. Using the corresponding app, merchants can accept signatures via touch screen and process payment on the spot.
- GoPayment – Developed by Intuit, GoPayment’s free app, free reader and free set-up make it one of the most popular options for on-the-go credit card processing with an iPhone.
- ProPay Jak – Though the card reader isn’t free and the annual fee may be a bit steep for low-volume users, ProPay Jak is a favorite with heavy users to due to the additional features that members have access to, including tracking and report information.
- Pocket Terminal – For users who have a need for an app that handles more than one account, Pocket Terminal might be the best choice. The initial cost of the app is offset by the lack of annual fees, which further adds to this gem’s appeal.
- Roampay – Though the lack of a reader device forces users to manually key in credit card numbers, the low price of Roampay and the web interface that allows for PC or Mac use make it worth the nominal download fee of $3.99.
- IPPA – In addition to iPhones, IPPA also works with iPads and the iPod Touch. The app aslo allows for multiple employee accounts and makes refunds and voids a breeze.
- iAuthorize – Features of iAuthorize include the option to add gratuity and a recurrent-billing offering. Capture holds and voids are simple to execute, and shipping information can be stored along with your transaction logs.
- iTransax – Designed to mimic the iPhone interface, iTransax is easy to use and quite powerful for the $4.99 price point. In addition to processing credit cards, several iPhones can charge to the same account, enabling multiple employees to collect payments from separate locations.
- ProcessAway – Alongside the gratuity option and recurring billing, ProcessAway also records GPS locations of each transaction in the event of disputes or billing questions.
- iMerchant Pro – Despite the bargain-basement price of 99 cents, iMerchant Pro is loaded with features. Signature capture, GPS tracking, transaction details and refunds can all be handled through this powerful, low-priced offering.
Each of these apps can be purchased in the App Store, and are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to iPhone-based processing options. As the demand for these applications rises, so do the number of choices for on-the-go merchants. Be sure to research your options before deciding on an App; the initial download price may not always be the best indicator of value. Each have different policies regarding processing and annual fees, so it’s best to be sure that you’re informed before making the mobile payment leap.